Newsletter - September 2020
Monday, October 5th: Picture Day #1
Tuesday, October 6th: Picture Day #2
Susan L. Martin- Principal
Welcome Back Oakwood Eagles!!
We are so happy to have all of you with us again! Whether you are attending in person or through the eAcademy we are committed to making this the best year ever!!
I wanted to take this opportunity to explain how the first couple of weeks of school and beyond will look.
When is my child at school?
- If your child is in Group A, their first day of school is Wednesday, September 2nd.
- If your child is in Group B, their first day of school will be Tuesday, September 1st.
- As a reminder, the school day begins at 7:40 AM.
Framing the first two weeks
- The first two weeks of school will look a little different for us this year. In a Hybrid or fully Virtual learning environment, our students will need support and practice in order to be prepared for success. As such, you can anticipate the following:
- During the first two weeks of school teachers will focus on TWO key goals during in-person days
- GOAL #1 - Establishing a school family with students. This is created by building relationships and procedures and routines.
- GOAL #2 - Practicing virtual routines with students so they know how to login on virtual days, how to submit work, where to access materials, how to contact their teachers, etc. Our teachers are making it their job to ensure your child knows how to do virtual learning!
- While we are teaching students virtual routines during the first two weeks, Chromebooks will NOT be sent home. Teachers may instead have more traditional home activities for students and you should check your child’s folder or planner to see what they may be doing on their days at home.
- Our goal is to create a positive and manageable transition into virtual learning and that will take time. The last thing we want is to overwhelm our students and families by sending home virtual work before they are prepared.
- Teachers will also be creating and sharing resources with families during the first two weeks. These resources will orient parents and caregivers to the Google classroom and website, our online learning platform.
Week 3 and Beyond...
At the start of week 3, we will transition into authentic Hybrid learning. To support virtual learning, students will bring their Chromebook home at the end of each day and bring it back to school for their in-person learning. On their Virtual days, they will login to their Google classroom and each teacher will have the week’s agenda items on the home page. Students will have practiced how to access their materials, as well as how to contact their teacher if they have questions. During virtual learning days in the Hybrid model, most of the virtual work will be independent and self-paced. Teachers will provide all of the online materials necessary for students and families to work from home. However, please remember, when your child is home learning virtually, his/her teacher will be here with students all day. It is possible that they will have offerings to join their class virtually, in real time, but your teacher will not necessarily be available to support virtual learning during the day. Your teacher will check messages as they are able and at the end of the school day so you and your child are supported at home.
Additionally, each student will receive a supplies bag with the following items to be kept at home:
- A Literacy toolkit and an explanation of the included materials and their purpose
- A Math toolkit and an explanation of the included materials and their purpose
- Miscellaneous supplies that may be provided by the teacher for virtual learning days
We are so grateful to each and every one of you for your patience and support. We believe that there are “silver linings” in ALL of this if we all take the time to look for them.
As always if you have any questions, please feel free to call or email us.
Wishing you well,
Mrs. Susan L. Martin
IF YOU ARE ABLE TO ANSWER “YES” TO EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS DO NOT ENTER THE SCHOOL BUILDING:
Have you experienced any of the following symptoms in the past 24 hours?
Fever of 100.4 degrees or higher/chills
Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
New loss of taste or smell
Or at least TWO of the following symptoms:
Muscle pain or body aches
Congestion or runny nose
In the past 14 days, have you been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19?
Elizabeth Lynch, BSN, RN
Click on the tabs below to see what news in art, music and phy ed at Oakwood!
Community Flyers and Events
The Oshkosh Area School District invites families to explore all that Oshkosh has to offer. A variety of community events, activities, and resources are available on the District's new Community Links webpage. This listing is updated in real-time so please check back often to stay in the know!